Supervisor: Dean and/or Chair
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Teaches online Computer Science courses in both asynchronous and synchronous modalities.
- Teaches students effectively in assigned classes and maintains office hours for student consultation in accordance with procedures outlined by SFBU.
- Provides students with a written course syllabus that should include items specified by SFBU.
- Participate in program level learning assessment. Participation includes helping articulate learning outcomes, choosing/administering measures, evaluating student performance, and suggesting changes to improve student learning.
- Participates in development and support of their discipline by recommending books and materials and revising curricula.
- Maintains accurate and complete course records as required by law and the Board of Trustees Policies.
- Performs professional activities and assumes professional responsibilities as agreed upon with the school dean and works with colleagues to achieve shared goals and visions.
- Uses knowledge of diverse communities and learning styles and has the ability to incorporate diversity of delivery of such learning styles in instruction.
- Utilizes technology to facilitate learning and to access data, maintain records, generate reports, and communicate with others.
- Meets professional assignments in accordance with the System’s calendar and contractual obligations.
- Complies with SFBU board policy, state and federal policy, and the student code of conduct as appropriate.
- Serves on and attends university committees as assigned.
- Attend departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings where appropriate or as required by supervisor.
- Participates in his/her own professional development plan. Plans must be created by the third week of the first semester taught in a calendar year. Progress must be supplied prior to the end of each semester taught.
- Remain current in academic or program discipline, including maintaining licensure, certification, or continuing education requirements where appropriate.
- Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning.
- Promotes the college in the community by participating in a variety of marketing activities.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with SFBU policies and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Be able to design, create, and teach online courses in synchronous and asynchronous modes.
- Have a good understanding of best practices and pedagogy for conducting online courses.
- Proficient in teaching various Computer Science subjects at undergraduate and graduate levels preferably using Python programming language.
- Must possess a friendly orientation and high level of professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to promote academic integrity.
- Position requires excellent presentation skills.
- Must possess ability to follow university, federal and state policy and regulations.
- Must possess ability to, and genuine interest in helping the needs of students, and sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, and cultural/ethnic backgrounds of the students.
- Foreign language proficiency, spoken and/or written, helpful.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in field related to subject taught
- Five years of professional experience using skills related to subject taught
- Considerable experience in creating and teaching synchronous and asynchronous online courses on Computer Science subjects.
- Doctoral degree in field related to subject taught
- 10 years of professional experience using skills related to subject taught
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 20lbs.
- The employee is required to crouch, walk, reach, grasp, carry, and push.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit or stand for long periods.
Instructions to Apply
- To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job description is not a contract between SFBU and the employee. SFBU has the right to change the employee’s job duties at its discretion.
SFBU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer: SFBU is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment. The Company does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.